salt & vinegar bites
(Vegetarian Times, March 2011)
Serves 8 (portions must be tiny, I'd say more like 5)| Hands-On Time: 15m | Total Time: 1hr 30 min
6 medium red or yellow potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes (3 cups) 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup malt vinegar
3 Tbsp. sugar
- Soak potatoes in large bowl of cold water 30 minutes. Drain, and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss potatoes with oil on baking sheet, and spread in single layer. Roast 45 minutes, or until golden and crisp, turning 2 or 3 times. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Meanwhile, bring vinegar and sugar to a simmer in saucepan over medium heat. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Serve malt sauce on side for dipping, or drizzle over potatoes.
asparagus & soft eggs on toast
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 20m | Total Time: 20m
4 slices rustic country bread
1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
8 large eggs
1/4 cup Parmesan (1 ounce)
- Heat broiler. Place the bread and asparagus on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Broil until the bread is toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side; transfer the bread to plates. Continue broiling the asparagus, tossing once, until tender, 4 to 8 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Carefully lower the eggs into the water. Reduce heat and gently simmer for 6 minutes. Cool under running water and peel.
- Divide the asparagus among the toast, sprinkle on the Parmesan, and top with the eggs.