A yummy & quick to put together cool weather recipe. If you don't like pesto, skip that part & then add your favorite potato garnishes such as sour cream, chives, bacon crumbles or shredded cheese as you serve the soup. Serve with a salad & crusty bread. Enjoy!
Pesto-Potato Soup with Toasted Pine Nuts
Ingredients for Soup:
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled & diced
- 6 c. vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 c. firmly packed basil leaves
- 1/2 t. salt
- freshly ground black papper
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. pine nuts, toasted (careful, they burn easily!)
- To make the soup, place oil & garlic in a 4-6 qt. slow cooker, cover & cook on High while you prep the potatoes. Once prepped, add potatoes, stock & salt. Cover & cook on Low for 6-8 hours.
- To make pesto, combine garlic & pine nuts in a food processor or blender. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add basil, salt & pepper to taste & process until ground to a paste. With the machine running, stream in olive oil through feed tube & process until well blended. Set aside until ready to serve.
- When potatoes are soft, use an immersion blender to purée the soup right in the slow cooker. Otherwise, purée in batches in a blender or food processor, returning to slow cooker to keep warm.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, swirl a spoonful or pesto into each serving & garnish with a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts.