Friday, March 4, 2011

project 365 photo: 03.04.2011 {kale & white bean soup}

I've heard these voices lately that keep saying, "What have you been doing with your time? And furthermore, why haven't you published more adorable pictures of your children or delicious recipes?" I get it, you miss me when I'm gone. I promise, I'm just sitting around eating bon-bons (or mint oreos, holy cow, I'm addicted to those & peppermint mocha coffeemate creamer. I bought 3 containers at the store the other day. they were on sale. and I had a coupon. it would have been simply wasteful not to buy them. so I'm also highly caffeinated lately while sitting around.)


Anyhow, we made Kale & White Bean Soup for dinner. It's an amazingly simple recipe - and especially so with the help of my super awesome immersion blender. It's my all time favorite kitchen gadget, especially because my wonderful mother-in-law bought it for me one recent Christmas with the whisk & food processor attachments. Get one. Now.


White Bean Soup 
Cooking Light, March 2002

Roasted garlic adds a robust flavor to this nourishing bean soup. If you're not a fan of kale, try Swiss chard. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

Ingredients

  • 1  whole garlic head
  • 4  teaspoons  olive oil, divided
  • 1  cup  finely chopped onion
  • 3/4  teaspoon  sea salt
  • 1/2  cup  finely chopped carrot
  • 1/2  cup  finely chopped peeled potato
  • 1/4  cup  finely chopped celery
  • 1  tablespoon  chopped fresh rosemary
  • 2  tablespoons  tomato paste
  • 6  cups  Vegetable Stock
  • 1  (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
  • 4  cups  chopped fresh kale
  • 2  tablespoons  fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 2  tablespoons  chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 350°.
  • Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Brush with 1 teaspoon olive oil; wrap in foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
  • Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-heat. Add onion and salt; sauté 5 minutes. Add carrot and the next 4 ingredients (carrot through tomato paste); cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add Vegetable Stock and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
  • Stir in garlic and kale; simmer 10 minutes or until kale is tender. Stir in lemon juice and pepper. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

No comments: