First I want to tell you that the pictures on this post are not at all the recipe that follows. But, Cassidy did make an apple pie at preschool last week (aren't her teachers fantastic? individual apple pies with 19 2 & 3 year olds! so creative...& daring!) & the photos are of that yummy treat. She was so excited. This is a combo of my favorite apple pie crust from Cooking Light & something I've made up along the way by trying everyone & their mother's apple pie filling recipies. Delicious.
Apple Pie To Die For
Cream Cheese Pie Crust
Yield: 2 9" crusts (a top & a bottom)
- 4 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounce) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large egg yolk
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; beat well at medium speed of a mixer until smooth. Add milk and egg yolk; beat until well-blended. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Add flour, baking powder, and salt to bowl, stirring until well-blended.
- Press mixture gently into a two 4-inch circles on separate heavy-duty pieces of plastic wrap; cover with additional plastic wrap. Chill for 15 minutes. Roll dough, still covered, to an 11-inch circle. Place dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed.
- Remove one circle from freezer. Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap, and fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Press the dough against bottom and sides of pan. Fold edges under, and flute. Remove other circle when ready to drape on top.
|Cassidy's Apple Pie Creation|
Apple Pie Filling
- 6-8 Macintosh &/or Granny Smith apples
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 3 T. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- If you prefer peels off, then peel apples. (I, personally, like them on!) Slice thinly in food processor.
- Combine apples & lemon juice in a large bowl. Combine all but about 2 T. cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle sugar mixture over apples; toss well to coat.
- Spoon filling into dough; brush edges of dough lightly with water.
- Remove top sheet of plastic wrap from remaining dough circle; place, plastic wrap side up, over filling. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Press edges of dough together. Fold edges under, and flute. Cut 4 slits into top of pastry using a sharp knife. (Or be creative & cut out a picture of an apple, etc!) Brush top and edges of pie with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet; bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove pie from oven), and bake an additional 40 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.