Monday, August 9, 2010

like a rolling stone.

confused, just like her mama is about her career
I was talking to BFF Sara the other night about "the future" & all that it might hold, the time frame in which these lofty things might happen & where the Lumps might be in the midst of growing up. We were also talking about friends, friendship & how lucky we are to have known each other for so long, be at completely different phases of our lives yet still feel connected. Yes, it was one of those deep conversations that may have been aided by a really good beer & sheer exhaustion on my part. As for her, it's just because she's so smart, witty & wonderful.


The conversation came to an end but, as good conversations with great friends ought to, it left me to really think about the answers to those questions. As you might remember from my summertime bucket list, I'm tossing around the idea of going back to school. As much as I like where I work & believe in the mission of the organization & those who we support, I don't think I'm on a career path that's going to take me very far. My first job out of college, for those who need a refresher, was teaching in Atlanta Public Schools. It was hard. It took a lot of time, energy & emotion to do my job the way that I thought it should be done. For all the crap, red-tape & non-supportive administrators, I loved my kids & truly enjoyed that face to face, hands-on interaction every day. Since then my jobs have taken me away from that hands-on experience to more administrative positions. I've learned so much about the medically underserved community & am considering staying in that field.


Now I struggle with the question of how I can best serve. Go back to person to person face time with students/clients/patients or move myself further into administration to make in impact in a big picture sort of way. How does one decide?

1 comment:

Ratz said...

oh no..... i hate these situations... i completely understand wat u must be going through and though our circumstances are different... i get you..... i dont think i can be of any help about your question because i do not know much about it but i sure do wish you all the best.. i am sure you will get what you want to do....

xoxoxo